Thursday, September 3, 2015

One Down, 5 to Go or There's No Place Like Home

Found out the brain MRI came back clear!!!! The cancer is in the right breast, and two lymph nodes with a small questionable spot in the left breast.

Well, it is over. I now know what to expect at least as far as the actual treatment day. We left at 8:05 this morning and got home at 5:15. I had a blood draw, then met with Dr. Sri for a nice visit. Jeff was able to come in and at least meet her. She explained all that will happen and why. I then was sent back to the chemo room and chose where I wanted to be. About half the chairs were filled up. Today was so long because a couple of the drugs have to be given in a higher dose the first time. There is also a couple that will be given together next time that they do separately to make sure I don't have any reaction to it. Next time it should be about a 4 hour stint, after they get me hooked up. That doesn't include the blood draw and any visit with the doctor.

Mother came with me and we chatted for a while, played iPad games and snacked. Joanne came up and we had a nice visit with her. As soon as they put the bag of Benadryl on, I immediately felt tired. I don't know what it is for, but it is one of the preventive meds. So I took a little nap (I was aware of what was happening, but rested a little. Mother and Joanne went out to a nice lobby the building has. The visitors chairs in the chemo room aren't comfy for long periods of sitting. The lady next to me and her daughter were playing a card game, so when we were getting all unhooked, they taught it to us. Looks like a nice fast game.

Besides feeling tired right now, I am doing pretty well. Dr. Sri, told me to go ahead and take the anti-nausea med on a schedule for the first few days rather than wait to feel nauseous. All I've read about it, I hear the best thing is to pop it right when you feel any kind of nausea and to not tough it out. I have been doing liquids all day, so that will help a lot. I did start with L-glutamine yesterday. That's supposed to help with neuropathy and mouth sores.

I'm off to get some rest and a snack, not particularly in that order.

1 comment:

  1. Great news about the brain scan being clean and congrats on getting the first treatment done! Sending lots of love from Wisconsin!!

    ReplyDelete