We have skipped town. Saturday, I realized that I had appointments Monday and Tuesday and nothing for the rest of the week. Unless of course they wanted to actually start the chemo. Tuesday morning I got a call from Dr. Sri and she said that my CT and bone came back completely clean!!! I was of course excited to hear that, but didn't do a dance or anything. When I told both Jeff and my mom, they heaved a huge sigh of relief! I guess I have just turned off all types of emotional dials- not only am I not overly worried and anxious about what bad can happen, I am also not overly demonstrative about the good that is happening. I am happy as can be inside and relieved with the news. Haven't heard about the brain MRI.
Monday was the bone scan and I had to go in at 9:00 to get the dye injection. When I mentioned to the technician about "my children" he got a worried look and said "If it were me, I wouldn't snuggle with them tonight for a movie night". The injection was a radioactive dye and made me a walking hazardous material specimen. I said something to A and she kept a 6 foot radius away from me all day. We went to the mall while I waited for the dye to soak into all my bones. We got some school shopping done and A got her haircut. The scan wasn't too bad, just flat in a table and a large screen came down to within an inch of my face, then slowly moved down from head to toe. It took 20 minutes for it to complete the process. We had Taco Bell.....again for lunch.
Tuesday, I had to go into the hospital again for the brain MRI. That was horrible! The breast MRI was nothing to this. For that, I was wheeled in face down, feet first and got headphones with music that somewhat blocked out the noise of the machine. For the head, I was put in a 'Man in The Iron Mask' type thing -the head put in something on the table and the mask put over my face. I was given ear plugs, but they did nothing. I was wheeled in head first so I was completely in the tube. The noise was so loud. Clicks and beeps and buzzes for 30 minutes straight. As soon as that was over, we headed out of town.
My mom drove first, then I took over the the last half of the drive. Of course as soon as I started driving, I get some phone calls I'd been expecting. First one was from the oncology scheduler asking if I could come in this Thursday (now yesterday) for my appointment with Dr. Sri to go over treatment schedule and then to start chemo. Since I had gone out of town, that is now scheduled for Thursday morning this next week.
The last week and a half, except for one day, we have been down wind from all the wildfires in Central Washington. Some of the days have been so bad that we have been warned not to go outside for extended amounts of time. The quality air number being over 150. 150-200 is the highest rating. It was nice to drive over the Pass and get into clear skies and clean air. We got our lungs cleared out and came home today - Friday. It was good to visit with some good friends and family. I got to celebrate Becky's birthday with her a few days late. We got our new car and drove that home. The girls love that it has a dvd player, roll down back windows and back air control. I need to plot out my next few days so I can get a handle on the house, make sure I have all my supplies that I want/need and gear up for my first round in 6 days! YIKES!!!! I am ready to start with the thought that it puts me that much closer to the end of all this. I feel like I have been preparing for all this for about 5 years - it hasn't even been 2 months.
No comments:
Post a Comment