Wednesday, August 12, 2015

MRI - alterations

Yesterday I went in for my MRI. I was not looking forward to it, although my sister had prepared me to know that it would be loud and to ask if I could wiggle my toes. I haven't had anything like this done before, but I had heard about MRI's from others enough to know that you cannot move at all, or it all has to be redone.

This was done downtown at Sacred Heart. I got a little lost getting into the correct building, but finally found the right office. The phlebotomist was a really nice gal and I was very comfortable for the waiting part. The next gal to come in had just started her day and she was very nice, too. She explained a little about what was going to happen and said that they would wait until I was completely comfortable before they started and I would have to start not moving.

She took me in and I climbed up on the machine. I had to be on my stomach with my arms stretched over my head and my face in a padded thing like a massage table. I didn't do much adjusting before they pushed the table right into the machine. It was loud and not too uncomfortable until halfway through. My elbow and both hands went numb and my fingers went to sleep and felt three times their size. I did some finger wiggles and might have done some wrist spinning. When they finally got me out, I was about to squeeze the ball that they give you to let them know you can't take any more. Problem is that my fingers were asleep, so I probably wouldn't have been able to squeeze it hard enough. And if I had I would have to start all over.

Well.......it just so happens that for some reason, the dye did not go through the IV. Well, 1cc out of 14 did go through. They said I might be able to wait 1/2 an hour to do it over, but she would ask the doctor if the little bit of dye would make enough contrast. That was a NO as they didn't want to risk missing anything because of the contrast being so light. Also, they couldn't just start over as there was enough contrast to make it so the baseline (without contrast) would not work. So rescheduling was the answer.

A lot has changed in the last 14 hours of starting this post. Because of needing to reschedule my MRI, I called them myself to do that. The time they had conflicted with my first visit with Dr. G - who goes by  Dr. Sri (shree) - just found that out when the scheduler said that I would be seeing Dr. Sri today and I was confused. - her first name is Srivalli.

Back to what is actually happening. I rescheduled the MRI for today and cancelled with Dr. Sri for today to reschedule for Tuesday. Just heard from their office and Dr. Moline and Dr. Sri were talking this morning and want me to meet with her today still and reschedule the MRI. I guess that not only is it nice that they take care of everything and call you for what you need, I really shouldn't take matters into my own hands - let them do all of the leg work.

I meet Dr. Sri today, MRI tomorrow and surgery is now scheduled for Monday - they have to have the hospital make room for me probably towards the end of the day if not, then surgery will be Wednesday. PHEW! I really guess things are moving forward not just happening whenever type attitude. Maybe I better get serious. I haven't taken any of this seriously as in serious, serious. More like sauntering along my treatment trail. Should I be nervous - I guess so - Am I nervous, not really, but getting there. I still have research and understanding to do. I'm not quite ready for all this to start as in next week - more like next month! Surgery is putting the port in and possibly SNL - Sentinal Node biopsy. That will be determined today with my dr. appointment whether that latter has to happen, too.
Off to dry my hair, get the girls breakfast and to their friends house for during my appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment