Saturday, February 6, 2016
Speedy Discharge?
Is there even such a thing? In the hospital when you don't want anyone to come in your room, there is a steady stream of aides, nurses, technicians, etc. I was just going in to give myself a sponge bath when the nutritionist (aka, guy from food services) came in to take my order for lunch and dinner. I shouldn't even be here for lunchtime; I'll have beef stroganoff if I am. But have I seen a doctor to ok my discharge? No. Also, the nurse comes in at 4 to give me some meds and then at 4:15 the NAC comes to take my vitals. I guess it isn't possible for them to come at the same time? Absolutely not! Heaven forbid that you rest -which they tell you is the best thing for a good recovery. Besides that, the nurses and NAC are fabulous! It has been fun for me to compare my experience with Tori's experience from just a week ago. I thought for sure in doing that, that I would find her experience to be better than mine. Not really. I guess that just goes to show that nurses truly are angels on earth! No matter which specialty they work in.
My surgery went well. Dr. Moline told Jeff it went as they had hoped and expected. I am not in much pain. I call it more discomfort than pain. In fact, I have taken all my meds about 2hours past the recommended dosage time. And only then just to make sure that the pain doesn't sneak up on me first. I am supposed to use this thing that my iPad won't let me insert a photo from the album on the iPad???-go figure. Anyway, it's a breathing apparatus that I have to inhale about 5 times and do 5-10 times each hour. It is to help prevent pneumonia. It is really hard to take in a deep breath when your chest is wound tightly with an ace bandage. It feels like my ribs are all bruised up. But I am dong it anyway. I have been able to get up on my own and walk around a bit. I am reaching for things and have been able to feed myself. Which is hard to do from a hospital tray since it puts the food at chin level. I keep feeling guilty each time I reach for anything. I pictured that my instructions would be to not move my arms at all. But each nurse has told me that I just can't raise my arms up or lift anything. That makes me so much happier. That I will be able to feed myself, sponge bathe myself and read and do the iPad, etc. Well, I'm out of room on this screen, so I will end. Still waiting for a doctor. I called my nurse to come in so I could talk to her about being discharged. I shouldn't have told her it wasn't an emergency. She hasn't come yet...... I guess I will brush my teeth. Maybe if I try to take a nap, then everyone I need to see will come in! (Of course not at the same time).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh hospitals... no peace for those who need rest, right? I'm glad the surgery went as planned. I wish so badly I could drive over and visit with you (when you're not napping of course). What a relief that you can use your arms more than you had thought. Still, I wonder how long until you can lift things again, or lift your arms. The things we take for granted. Wow.
ReplyDeleteMan, Gaius sure is cute. Newborns are so fun to snuggle.
Hey, I should send you links to funny youtube videos or something. Have you found any tv series you like? I like White Collar and Hawaii Five-0. Both available on Netflix. Many seasons :-) But I guess you said you aren't wanting for entertainment. Hmmm... I hope Tori is sending lots of picture of the baby!!!!! HUGS & Kisses