To update, this round was better than the worst 2. My mouth went wacko this time - I really could not tolerate much in the way of food. I spent one day sipping every few minutes from a water bottle. It was so dry and cottony. I described it to others like this - think of burning your tongue on a hot drink. Now, imagine that feeling that you get on your tongue your whole tongue and roof and inside of the whole mouth. It lasted for a lot longer than other times. Physically I bounced back pretty well this time. I never went as down deep as #1 and #4.
We came to Salt Lake for Christmas. Carter, Tori and Jesse all couldn't take time off from work. Maggie could have if it would have been something they could have done to come up to WA for Christmas. But we decided to come ahead on down here - it all depended on last minute how I felt and how the weather was for driving. Both were favorable, so south we came. We did hit a couple of blizzardy spots on the drive through Montana, but most of the drive the roads were either just wet or bare and dry.
Maggie's parents went to Issaquah for Christmas, and they were kind enough to let us stay in their house in Lehi. This way we have more room than if we stayed with C&M, and N is not having to be on high alert with a dog in the house all the time. She has warmed up to Korah, and pets her and follows her around now, but she still is on edge not sure what K will do.
Since we got here, we have gotten a few inches of snow. This morning it was blowing so hard at the same time that it was snowing sideways. We got in at dinner time on Saturday. We met everyone at an Italian restaurant in Taylorsville. Carter couldn't make it as he had a call to go to in Layton to fix a client's computer system that had gotten a really bad virus. Sunday we went to C&M's ward then went to Jeff's sister Jan's house for a Howell family get together. Valerie was there visiting her son Jason and family (they came too). Mike and his family, all of our family, Mom came with Mike and Mom's brother in law Garth Porter and his daughter Mary were there. It was so fun to see and spend time with everyone there.
Monday the girls played with Korah in the snow. Maggie and I went shopping. Then Carter and I went to see the new Star Wars movie! I wasn't up for going out to dinner - it had been too long of a day. We went to Costco and got pizza then went home for that and games. Yesterday, Tuesday, we hung out with Maggie. Jeff went to get some tubes to go tubing, but took a long time as the first place he went didn't have any and it was crowded shopping. They all left the same time I did. I went downtown to Tori's house to help her make peanut brittle and have dinner. That was fun spending time teaching her Grandfather's technique to make the best peanut brittle! It was snowing when I left, but not really sticking on the ground. I got back to C&M's and we all came down here to Lehi. It was another long day. My stamina isn't great, but I am able to do most things. I had a hard time carrying a bag of groceries up a flight of stairs - Tori had to take it from me the last couple of steps.
So far, we are all healthy. N just came in from playing outside complaining she was going to throw up, but didn't. I think she just got overheated - so they rested a bit and are out again.We are going to go up to Riverton and maybe see a movie (everyone is working today). Carter and I will go out to dinner, since I had to back out on it on Monday. I did miss dinner out with Brenton and his family last night, but I really wanted to spend the time with Tori, and this was the only time we had, mostly so she could take the candy into work with her, but it really was the only night we could have done that. Tomorrow, everyone is going to stay here for the night, then we'll have Christmas to relax and play games and visit some more! I am loving the time with all my children together. I am getting tired obviously, but I am resting and not doing anything that is taxing to my energy.
One week from today I will be sitting in the chemo room for the last time for infusions! 2 weeks from today I should be out of all the icky stuff and feeling better and getting on the mend again but for the last time!
I cherish this writing because it tells so much: mainly that you are with all your children and feeling well enough to savor the moments; that you can say, "only one more to go" instead of, "one down and 5 to go"; that you have enough energy to make memories; that you know when to opt out; that you are having a white Christmas! You have run the gauntlet as a champion! Merry Christmas!
ReplyDelete