Tuesday, January 5, 2016

What will this New Year Bring?

Well, a year ago, we had made the decision to take a new job in Spokane and move from Kalispell where we had been for 51 weeks. There was lots of prayer and list making to decide to do this, but we knew at the top of our list was to be closer to family and close to a temple. Spokane had always been one place we had kept in mind for living. So here we are. That was not the only thing that last "New Year" had in store for us. Of course, a big one was that I was to find out that I have cancer.

Here we are at the end of last year and the beginning of this and I am through with the chemotherapy! I am so excited to be at this point. I am having a hard week, but not as hard as some of the others. My mouth thing is probably as bad as it's been. I can't tolerate anything in my mouth. Last night I had to concentrate on each bite - psyching myself into putting it into my mouth. I am making due. I am drinking enough and each day has been a little better.

Christmas break was really good. The day we left was essentially 2 days and 2 weeks after my last infusion. So by the time Christmas Eve rolled around, that would have been my 3 weeks/next infusion. But I got an extra week because of the holiday. We enjoyed good travel days coming and going to Salt Lake. Maggie's parents were in WA, so they graciously let us stay at their home so we didn't have to be crowded into an apartment and mix N with a dog full-time. N actually got really used to Korah and didn't have problems with her when they were together. I could tell that she was on high alert, so being in the same housing would have made her a little too stressed out. We enjoyed a lot of time with Carter and Maggie and Tori and Jesse. I wasn't up for any type of outings. I spent Christmas Eve morning at the outlet mall - the couple hours I was gone was not too much, but would have been if I went longer. We did some dinners out and I taught Tori how to make peanut brittle. When we went to get groceries, I tried to carry my grocery bags up the stairs from the road and the 1 1/2 flights up to their apartment. I had to give up half way up the inside stairs. The whole time, I kept busy and rested when I needed to. I didn't overdo anything.

December 30th was my last infusion. Stacy came with me again! It has been so good reconnecting with her as we sit there while the drugs are pumped into my body. Thursday and Friday were pretty good days. I rested a lot and tried to store up for the next couple of days. Saturday wasn't too bad (this has been my worst day). I was able to interact with the family and didn't have to spend the whole day sacked out on my bed. I even considered going to church on Sunday. The power went out in the morning, so they just held Sacrament meeting. I (wisely and with Jeff's advice) decided to stay home. Monday and today have been ok. I can't tell much difference in my mouth problem though, and that has been most frustrating.

One thing that I am having difficulty this time is fatigue. I have been tired the other times, but this time it is really bad. The doctor said that I am anemic, but not to the point that I will need a transfusion. I keep thinking that my out-of-breathness is due to being so inactive the last few months and I just need to get back into shape. That is not the case. The problem is anemia and so I just have to prioritize my activities and rest when I can. This is not something that I could have avoided or stored up for before. It is just the way it is now and I have to deal with it. I am assuming that I will be able to drive if I need to. I just get sooooo tired doing anything. A couple days ago, I had to sit down while brushing my teeth. I can barely make it up the stairs without taking a break (and that is not carrying anything). Today I made my bed then had to rest on it right away. I am not getting dizzy or falling over by any means. I assume if I do that would be when I would have to go in to get checked. I just need to take it slowly. I make the girls' lunch, then sit while they eat breakfast. I make my bed, then rest for a few minutes. I am getting really tired and bored with TV and the iPad. I have been watching a bunch of series of things and multiple movies. I need book suggestions. I love that I can get books on my iPad, but I need suggestions of what to read. I have so many books here at the house that I have never read, but most of them are intellectual rather than entertainment reading. I need entertainment books. I do have a list of projects that I want to get tp, but this week has not been the one to get into something that needs focus. I know this next week will get better. I just need to remember that each day is better and each week will be even more so. patience, patience.....

Once again, I appreciate and feel all the love and prayers sent my way. I keep hearing from family and friends how their children always remember to pray for me. We visited with the Whipple's while we were in SL and Edmund remembers me with every prayer. He was so cute. I got to get right up to him and have a talk about how much his prayers are helping me to get better. I took my hat off and showed him my bald head and his eyes got so huge and his jaw dropped - he couldn't figure out why I was bald. He thought it was really cool that I have some fuzzy hair coming in. That has been exciting. I know that it isn't really "coming in", but I do have a lot of single hairs coming in and lots of fuzz. I am assuming that by the end of this month is when it will get to be some serious hair growth.

1 comment: