Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Be Careful What You Pray For- or the Good the Bad and the Ugly

This is sooo, so true!

After moving here, I was in that "I'm in a new area, I don't know many people and I don't know much about this area" mood. I knew it wouldn't help to get all discouraged and let it get me down. Having just done the exact same thing at the exact same time in Montana last year, I knew that we will eventually get used to things and meet people. But, I did want to be more proactive rather than wait for things to 'just happen'. Lately I have been praying that I would be able to be more aware of ways to serve and help others. I also was realizing that next year I would have both girls in school full time, and I didn't want to be wasting my time like I felt I did in Kalispell. I don't think I was that lazy, but I didn't get to any of the things I wanted to -family history, simplifying our life (ie: stuff), volunteering more at school. One excuse is that most of our things were packed still, so I couldn't get to them. This all has been on my mind as I have been praying also to get a nudge to get myself going with things.

So, all I can say is be careful what you pray for!  I have always been careful to NOT pray for patience because I know that you just end up being 'blessed' with things that try your patience-presumably to build said-prayed-for patience. Instead of for patience, I pray to serve and am also wondering what to do with my upcoming extra time. Well..... I was just called last week to be our ward Relief Society president. (In our church, congregations are called wards, and there is a Bishop who oversees, leads and ministers to the whole ward. Then each group has a presidency-young women, children, etc. the Relief Society is for the women ages 18+). To find out more what an RS president does you can click Here (I've always wondered how to do that little 'here' thing for a link, I hope it works) Anyway, I am excited to get to know all the wonderful women in our ward. I definitely have some learning and growing to do and stepping WAY out of my comfort zone to do it.

Some might think "just say NO", but as I mentioned in my first post, I have felt really calm about all of this. It all happened at once and is kind of mixed up together in my mind and attitude. Besides the fact that I know Heavenly Father won't ask too much of me - I am more aware of what I can and can't do. That I can say "no" and that I can rely on other people. I am always one to wait for a topic to come up rather than bring it up myself. Like when telling people we were expecting - I would wait for the topic of pregnancy or children to bring it up. It was a step in a different direction for me to put this cancer thing 'out there', but at the same time, there are so many special people in my life with whom I don't rub shoulders with on a daily basis (weekly, monthly or yearly either for that matter) - that I am getting better at sharing and speaking up (at least a little). I have promised Jeff and some others that I will admit that I need help when I do, rather than exhaust myself trying and probably failing to do some things. I have some great councelors and secretary and from what I have seen so far, everyone else in the ward is willing to help. I am already overwhelmed with the kind words and offers I have received and I definitely can feel the love and support from others' prayers.

On the other hand - I am entering another new phase in Life. One that I anticipated, but didn't expect to happen for a while longer. Tori and Jesse are having a baby!!!! This also came at the same time as the other two new phases. I am over-the-top thrilled to enter into grand-parenthood.

Actually, looking over this post, maybe my calm and peaceful feelings I am getting is just a type of numbing. Like when you have dental work. You go home thinking you're going to be fine, but when the anesthetic wears off, you are in pain! I have had so many new things hit me at the same time, I may just be walking around in a type of daze and one of these mornings, I will wake up realizing what really hit me and wonder how in the world I am ever going to make it! Definitely not alone!


2 comments:

  1. Heidi, you are wonderful. You always have been able to meet challenges and overcome them. You are caring and are a peacemaker. These new things in your life are surmountable and I know, with Heavenly Father's help, you are up to whatever comes. I love you. Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, the same kind of timing happened to me when I was asked to serve as a RS president - I was just 5 months in the ward - and I have to say it was a wonderful way to get to know the sisters in my ward and be able to serve. I also want to share with you that I had the most challenging calling of my life (so far) (teaching Seminary) when the most challenging family situations of my life (so far) came to pass. Therefore, the demands of teaching and preparing to teach every morning became both a distraction to the family situation, and a great blessing of insight as I was immersed in serving others. It put everything into perspective. I am so grateful the Lord knew what I needed to help me get through the tough times. This will be a great blessing to you - and I'm glad to hear you agree that there is nothing we can do alone. Much love!

    ReplyDelete