Everyone has been commenting and complimenting me on how well I look. Last week, Jeff and I took a long weekend trip to McCall, ID. It was a nice get away. Jeff got the trip through work for being a top salesman last year! We haven't had a "just the two of us" trip in 15 years! It'll definitely be less than 15 years until the next one. One of the gals came up to me (there were about 14 people there with the company) and complimented me on my "cute Pixie cut". "You wear it well." I thanked her and said how it was growing in nicely. She looked surprised that I would have had it even shorter than it is now. I then explained about cancer and chemo. So, I guess it is not so obvious to outsiders any more that I am a cancer patient. Since then, I have had several people tell me how nice my hair looks and that I pull of the short hair really well. That's nice - but I am not going to keep it this short, that's for sure. For one thing, I am getting to the point that it is just long enough to get some funny sticky-outies. And I'm getting hat hair when I wear a hat, which is often as I still need the extra warmth or protection from the sun. So I am for sure going to be growing it out longer than it is now. I am not sure if I'll go for the same length I had a year ago. Of course when it grows 1/2 inch a month, it'll be a long time until it gets that long again. In fact I figured that it will be at least October before I have measurable bangs. I do like the ease of care it offers. I just lather up my head with my face soap still. Maybe that is why my hair is so soft.
It has been a while since I have posted anything. There really hasn't been much going on differently in my life lately. I am feeling really good. I don't think that I really had much adverse reactions to radiation. I didn't ever get extremely tired. Aside from the bad burns on my skin which went away rather quickly, I weathered that pretty well.As I said, everyone has been telling me how well I look - that my color is great and such. I guess maybe I looked awful those months before. But I am feeling well, my brain is functioning normally, etc. That isn't to say it's tip-top, I still have forgetfulness problems, but no more than a year ago. I just looked at my medical notes and I had my first (first for this whole procedure, not first ever - but I guess it was also the last..) mammogram on June 30th last year. So it hasn't quite been one year since this whole journey started. I had the biopsy done on the 6th of July and results would have been just a few days later. Phew! What a ride this last 11 months has been. I look back on it thankful that it is over and hoping never to have to do that again. At the same time, I see what I have learned about myself and others and glad for that. I wouldn't have learned what I have in any other way. I am not saying that I would want to do any of this over again, but it sure is a lot better looking back than a year ago looking toward the unknown.
I am sitting here trying to come up with something profound to say. I don't know if I can put into words all the things that go through my head. There are so many horrible things going on in the world these days, and at the same time, there is so much good happening. Unfortunately, most people tend to look at and focus on the horrible things. I read a blog today about how we can point fingers and blame this horrible thing on that situation, or whatever. But what it all boils down to is misunderstanding and hate. Love is the only thing that can overcome the evil in the world. Just as Christ said "MY peace I leave with you". There is no way to legislate or vote in something that will make wrongs go away. The only way over all evil and wrong in the world is through love. Christ's Love is the only way. Love can't be forced or made into law. It has to be taught. When we teach that and we all live that way, then there is no room for hate. Just as light dispels the darkness, so does love dispel and overcome hate and evil. It is so simple! In fact, so simple that too many people will brush it off as being not enough. But it is just that - simple, basic truth that will make it all work out in the end. If anything, I have learned that I need to make my life more simple and not run here and there looking for happiness and peace.That I have all I need right here, in my family and in my faith. That loving others will bring me peace.
Way to go Heidi. You are wonderful. I am so proud to be your father.
ReplyDeleteD
I am so happy that this writing is from the perspective of "looking back" now! You are a rock; you have and are an example to me of endurance and positive attitude. As Daddy said, but I will phrase it differently: I am so very proud to be your mother. M
ReplyDelete