Thursday, March 10, 2016

You Guys Made Me Ink

One of my favorite scenes from "Finding Nemo". I hope the video uploads correctly. But today my saying is "Cancer made me get inked".
That's right! I have tattoos. 3 to be exact. And I have to say...... What the Heck! Why would anyone go through that no matter how beautiful or sentimental the art or how drunk they are at the time. OUCH! is what I have to say about it. No way, no how would I do that for a full-sized one.

Today I went in for what is called a mapping session. It is pre-radiation as they need to program the computer and machines to do what they need to do specifically for my treatment. I was put through a CAT scan machine to measure everything, and with stickers and markers, they found the right position for me to be in before marking permanently with the tattoos. I have one on my sternum and one on each side. Granted, they were just one prick with the needle, but still it is a tattoo. I have to be put in the machine precisely the same position every time to make the radiation hit what needs to be blasted.

I had to be on my back with my arms up over my head. Problem with that is at 5 weeks post op, my right arm is still pretty sore and stiff. I do exercises to straighten it by lying on the floor with my arm straight out to my side. I slowly let my forearm down so it is also flat on the floor. Then I try to move it up more and more. I haven't gotten it up very much past straight out. Just the other day was the first time I was able to put both hands behind my head with my head propped on a pillow. So, today on the flatbed of the scanner, I needed to be in the position they will put me in every time. The technician had a type of blow up pillow thing around my head and shoulders that was programmed to be blown up around me in the position I will have to be in each time. I wanted to be able to grasp the handles they had for me above my head, so I stretched way out of my comfort zone to do that. I only had to be in that position for about 20 minutes while I was put in and out of the scanner about 3 times for him to get just the perfect position. I was just getting a cramp in my neck when we were finally done.

Yesterday I actually went in for my pre-radiation visit with the radiologist to discuss my pathology report and the treatment plan. We are on track. Both today and yesterday, I was told how well my surgical site is healing and one of them couldn't believe it has only been 5 weeks since surgery! I am grateful for a healthy body that can take all of this stuff and still bounce back so well and heal properly and quickly.

Here are some of the things that stood out to me from going over the pathology report with Dr. Call.
First and important - surgical margins: widely clear from invasive carcinoma. This is of course everything one wants to hear when a tumor is being removed from ones body. Clear margins means they got everything they were going after and the cancer was contained in the tissue removed with no cancer left behind.
Next: the Surgical Pathological Stage after Neoadjuvant chemotherapy - ypT1c N1a. I have no idea what this means, except that it is the stage of the cancer after chemotherapy which is given before surgery (neoadjuvant). I guess this is good? Everybody seems to be happy with it. The tumor removed was 1.2 x 1.2 x 0.9 cm in maximum dimension. I can't remember what it was before this all started, but I know the chemo shrunk it significantly. I will go back to the other reports and see if I can find it. And another thing that stood out to me is the Histologic grade: Low Whatever that means???? I am sure I can find out what histologic means, but I don't have time to look that up. I just like the word LOW in there!

So, everything is looking good. I am on track for my next step which is radiation. I have my run through appointment on the 22nd- they call it a Safety day. Meaning that they put me in the machine and punch in all the numbers to make sure that it is positioned correctly and the computer will work as it is programmed to do! They don't do any radiation that day, just a run-through. The radiation starts the following day and will run for 30 sessions. This means 5 days a week for 6 weeks. We talked about the possibility of me taking along weekend if we need to. I can go in on a Thursday morning, and back in at least 6 hours later for a 2nd round that day. Then take Friday-Monday off and do the same thing on Tuesday. There has to be at least 6 hours between treatments. I don't think I can do twice a day for 15 days, but I can do it if we need a 3 or 4 day weekend. Pretty much we don't have anything planned from now until the end of April. The only thing we would take off for is to make a quick trip to SLC for Gaius' blessing. I want to get this started quickly to get it over with quickly.

The only thing I am really not looking forward to about the radiation part is the skin burning. There have been things about each stage of my treatment that I haven't looked forward to, but I have gotten through each one and it is now behind me. There are 7 weeks between me right now and the end of this next experience. Since I still can't believe that 5 weeks have passed since my surgery, I am hopeful that this time will go quickly. There will be something every day, so that should help make the time go by quickly. Well, I need to go say prayers with the girls and get them tucked in. I am 5 minutes over what I told them. Jeff is at some training, and he was maybe going to be able to call - he's calling now. BYE

No comments:

Post a Comment